Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Marilyn Gets High....


A home movie that shows Marilyn Monroe smoking a cigarette reportedly filled with marijuana was sold at auction for $275,000. The video, which shows Monroe relaxing and laughing with friends, was filmed about 50 years ago at a home in New Jersey. According to the Daily Mail, the person who made the film confirmed that the cigarette contained marijuana, saying: "I got it (the pot). It was mine. It was just passed around. It was not a party. It was just a get-together. You know, come over and hang out."

I'm not sure what it is about this photo, a screen capture from a silent 8mm film shot at a party over half a century ago, that I find so... comforting.

I think it is an echo of my early-1970s self; a fantasy in which I'm passing a joint from Marilyn to John and Paul, sitting in my living room of that small house on Liberty Street in Clarion, PA, Bonnie Raitt's Give It Up on the stereo. Rum and cokes all around.

Life is good.

4 comments:

DashingFabrics said...

nice fantasy....I remember the house on Liberty Avenue. Any chance I can get in on that fantasy?

Stan Denski said...

Sure, but even in my fantasy you end up with John, Paul and Marilyn wander off, and there's nothing good on TV at 1:00 in the morning in 1972.

Dang.

Colleen said...

and there's nothing good on TV at 1:00 in the morning in 1972.

....then obviously the only thing left to do is smoke more...

Stan Denski said...

"Obvious" being the word that sort of jumps out at you, yes.